The One Project: One Camera, One Film, One Developer

I admit it: I have a few cameras. OK, over the past few years, I have been getting a LOT of cameras. A metric shit-ton of cameras. I also have a freezer full of film of all speeds and types. And developers? I’ve tried a few. So, a new year means a new project. For the next 6 months, I am going to commit to using just one camera, one film, and one developer.  (Caveat: I will continue to do the Coffee with Friends project. So sue me.) It will be hard, but I know I can do this. And in the end, hopefully, I will have learned something.

The Camera

This was not an easy decision. I have some strong feelings about some of my cameras. And there are a number that I really want to spend quality time with. But in the end, I settled on my Graflex Crown Graphic.

 

IMG_3492.jpg
The chosen one

 

the Crown Graphic has a lot going for it. For one, it’s large format, something I am least familiar with so there will be a lot to learn over the 6 months. Also, unlike 35mm, the large format will force me to take fewer shots. I’ll have to slow down and think about each shot. Finally, I can make contact prints with this format so I can explore alternative processes, like Van Dyke printing.

The downside to the Crown Graphic is that I can’t be as spontaneous as I am with the box cameras like the Diana or the Kodak Brownie Hawkeye. That’s definitely something I will miss.

The Film

Interestingly, the choice of film is what actually sealed the deal for the Crown Graphic. I have been using Svema MZ-3 film over the last few years in my 35 mm cameras. It’s a low ISO, orthochromatic film that was not originally designed for still photography. I really like this film and was hoping to use something like it in this project. Unfortunately, it is only available in 35 mm and I absolutely did not want to use a 35 mm camera. I started looking around at other orthochromatic films. The choices are limited, especially in medium format. But I did find Arista Ortho Litho Film 3.0 in 4×5 for incredibly cheap.

FullSizeRender.jpg

At $22.99 for 100 sheets, this film seems like a great bargain. Of course, I haven’t shot any yet so we will have to see.

Developer

With the camera and film determined, the choice of a developer was pretty easy. Everything I read online suggested that for continuous tone you should go with Dektol diluted 1+30. So that’s what I’m doing.

FullSizeRender.jpgIt looks like I’ll have a gallon of Dektol to play with.

Next Steps

So that’s my project for the next 6 months. I am going to first test the film speed ala Ansel Adams. And then start shooting. I will be posting results here as I go so stay tuned!

One thought on “The One Project: One Camera, One Film, One Developer

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s