I’m pretty sure I’ve owned some type of Swiss Army knife since I was a teenager. I got my current knife sometime in the late 80s or early 90s. So almost 30 years. That means countless boxes opened, a bunch of IKEA furniture assembled, some light switch plates screws tightened, a few bottles of wine uncorked, and dozens of beer bottles uncapped. I don’t think I’ve used the awl tool that much. I know I used the long blade for something I shouldn’t have since the tip is broken off. The toothpick is long gone but the tweezers stuck around.
I was looking at it and thinking it might be time to get a new one. Then I got sentimental. There’s really no point in getting a new one. With all its issues, it still works. With a little luck, I will die owning this knife. Of course then it will probably end up in the trash. I can’t see my kids keeping it around.
I shot these pictures of the knife with an even older Nikon fm2 loaded with Ilford HP5 plus pushed to iso 3200 and developed in HC-110 dilution B
As much as I am enjoying shooting large format with the Crown/Speed Graphics, I really love my plastic Diana clone. I shot these last week while on vacation in Goshen, MA using Ilford Delta 100. Stand developed for 1 hour in HC-110 1:119.
I am done with the One Project! I’ve gone through 2 boxes of Arista Ortho Litho 3.0–that’s 100 sheets of film. It was really interesting project and I’ve learned a lot about large format and this film. I still feel like the exposure is kind of hit or miss for me, though in general I know it always seems to need more time.
I’m excited to keep working with the film. But I am also really itching to shoot some normal film stocks and my Diana :). Going forward I will reserve then Ortho Litho for some landscapes, for making lith prints, and for portraits.
I spent a day down on the Delaware River Walk again with some of my last sheets of the Arista Ortho Litho 3.0. It was an overcast day, which means I probably should have added a few stops to my exposures.
I mostly shot wide open (F4.7) at 1/10 of a second based on the iPhone app. But I should know by now that on a cloudy day that is off.
As a follow up to my previous post, I tried another test shot, this time adding a stop of time.
An EI of 0.8 had the expected result and delivered a negative that was significantly denser. There is still some loss in the shadows, but not nearly as much as with the EI 1.6 negative. I don’t understand how people are shooting this stuff at ISO 3 or 6!
Haven’t had time to test print, but here is a scan that I didn’t do anything to in LightRoom. Looks pretty good.
I don’t mind the loss of speed too much as I won’t be shooting this stuff handheld anyway. I’m glad to have the HC-110 developing option since I won’t have to buy more Dektol if I just want to shoot this occasionally.